About the Connecticut State Data Center
The Connecticut State Data Center (CTSDC)is the State’s lead agency in the U.S. Census Bureau’s State Data Center Program that makes data available locally to the public through a network of state agencies, universities, libraries, and regional and local governments.
The CTSDC, a collaboration between the University of Connecticut Libraries, the University of Connecticut Department of Geography, and the State of Connecticut Office of Policy and Management, serves as the state's official liaison to the U.S. Census Bureau and seeks to develop a single portal for all socioeconomic data sets for the State of Connecticut and its municipalities. The CTSDC is supported by the State of Connecticut Office of Policy and Management and the University of Connecticut Libraries.
CTSDC staff organize training programs for Connecticut personnel, organize a network of coordinating and affiliated agencies, and assist with Census data inquiries and processing of custom datasets for Connecticut.
The Center's mission is to assist the state in meeting its obligations to provide reliable, timely population estimates and projections, to enable the state to evaluate the accuracy of official federal counts of Connecticut's population, to enhance state and municipal capacity to develop and evaluate policies, and to plan future development.
The Connecticut State Data Center efforts align with the U.S. Censu Bureau's State Data Center Core Competencies which include:
- Program Administration
- Data Dissemination
- Data Analysis, Technical Assistance, and Consultation
- Customized Programming/Product Development
- Education and Promotion of Censuses
- Assistance with Census Operations
- Web Presence
- Participation in Midyear or Annual National Meetings
The Connecticut State Data Center currently offers the following products and services*:
- Assistance with location U.S. Census and other Federal and State datasets
- 2010 Census data in spreadsheet and mappable formats for download
- Mapping and Spatial Visualization of Data
- Workshops on the New American FactFinder
- Data and project consultations
- American Community Survey (ACS) data assistance
- Assistance with locating U.S. Census Data and other Federal and State datasets
- Value-added data analysis
- Population projection data for Connecticut
- Digital archiving of data produced and processed by the Connecticut State Data Center
- FGDC metadata creation datasets provided by the Connecticut State Data Center
- Presentations on data pertaining to Connecticut
* State funding provided by the Office of Policy and Management for the Connecticut State Data Center supports data inquiries from municipalities, state/federal agencies, community members and the media. Inquiries from these sources receive priority responses. Inquiries from faculty, students, and other sources received by the Connecticut State Data Center will receive assistance as time, staff and resources allow.